ASK Process, Inc. trains your IT professionals to provide dependable, smooth, and cost-effective software and IT services.
Check our training calendar for courses near you!
We also provide Consulting Services to support this training!
Training Catalog Online
Agile Software Development Series
Software Project Management Series
Executive Workshop: Project Management
– 1+/- Day
Project Management for Software Professionals– 2 Days
Software Project Estimation – 1 Day
Earned Value Planning and Management
– 2 Days
Project Risk Management – 1 Day
Corrective Actions for Projects in Trouble
– 3 Days
Software Quality Series
Business Analysis Series
ITIL® -- IT Service Management Series
Public Offerings -- Check our training calendar for which courses are available in which cities.
On-Site Training -- All of our training courses can be brought to your organization and tailored for your needs.
Custom Training -- We can design and deliver customized training just for you.
Download your own copy of our
(<450 KB, PDF)
To inquire about training
or get answers to your questions:
Call us at 412-849-0421
or e-mail Info@ASKProcess.com
Project Management for Software Professionals
Successful software projects require more than just good technical work. Project success hinges on you ability to manage all of the myriad of details that must be coordinated in order to make the technical work pay off.
First, you need a good basis for making commitments that your team can actually deliver on. The most common complaint of senior management and customers is that we fail to deliver what we promised on time and within budget. Good project management techniques provide the basis for making reasonable commitments about what we can deliver. And when we are pushed to over-commit, they give us the data we need to negotiate expectations so that the project scope actually matches our constraints.
Then you need solid but agile processes that will help you to keep the work on track week-to-week.
This course draws from the best in software project management practices including:
These practices will arm you with effective and efficient methods for ensuring your projects' success.
- The PMBOK Guide® (Project Management Body of Knowledge)
- The CMMI® (Capability Maturity Model Integration) from the SEI
- The Agile software development methods, including Extreme Programming & Scrum
During this course, you will learn how to:
- Assure that all of the pieces are in place, and no important details are missed
- Coordinate your team's work with other groups
- Ensure each team member knows what he or she should be doing each day
- Understand how well the work is tracking against your plans
- Identify trouble spots before they become crises
- Recover project momentum when things go wrong
- Control project scope-creep
- Mitigate the risks to your project
- Communicate project status to the various stakeholders
- Re-negotiate expectations before problems make the project miss its targets
Who should attend this course?
- Software team leads
- Software developers, architects, engineers
- Specialists in software development processes and quality assurance
Course Outline (2 Days):
- Day 1
- General Project Management
- Planning, Lifecycles and processes
- Configuration Management and Change control
- Project control and corrective action
- Project Scope Management
- Project Charter, Objectives and Success Criteria
- Project Requirements
- Project Resource Management
- Human Resources, Team Charter, Roles & Responsibilities
- Other Resources (besides people)
- Project Time & Cost Management
- Tasks and dependencies
- Estimating Size, Effort and duration
- Project Costs and Budgeting
- Day 2
- Project Quality Management
- Verification & Validation (V&V) Activities
- Procedures, Success Criteria and corrective Action
- Project Procurement Management
- Choosing a Supplier
- Managing Vendor Relationships
- Project Measurements & Analysis
- Metrics planning and identification
- Collecting and using metrics
- Project Risk Management
- Risk Planning
- Risk Management
Download your own copy of this course description (<140 KB, PDF)